Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2007

The Worlds Fastest Indian - A Tribute to H.J Munro, a.k.a 'Burt' Munro

I recently watched this movie (DVD) and have watched it 4 nights in a row now. I have always been an adrenalin addict who loves going fast. It doesn’t matter if it was a bike, car, skis, etc. I hope you enjoy this information about a colorful character that had a true lust for life....

Burts Bio - (Full Bio Click Here)
I
n 1920 a 21 year old Southlander stood gazing at a brand-new motorcycle in an Invercargill garage. His eyes roved over the neat little V twin engine, the cast alloy primary case, the leaf sprung front fork. His hand lovingly stroked the gleaming red paint and the sparkle of the polished nickel matched that in his eyes. The proprietor was spoken to, a deal was struck, and the young man bought his motorcycle, beginning a partnership which was to last until his death in December 1978. The man was Burt Munro and the bike was an Indian Scout, destined to become the world's fastest Indian.

Burt, then a grandfather, visited the Bonneville salt flats several times from 1962 onwards. In that year he set a then world record of 178.971 mph with his engine out to 51 cu.in. (85Occ). In 1963 a con-rod broke while he was traveling at an estimated 195mph. In 1966 it was displacing 920cc, when Burt, unhappy with some loss in top speed, completely rebuilt it again.

In 1967, with his engine punched out to 58 cu.in. (950cc) he set a class record of 183.586 mph. To qualify he made a one-way run of 190.07 mph, the fastest ever officially recorded speed on an Indian.

His visits to the salt were not without incident. In issue no. 1 of Motorcycle New Zealand, published in 1973 Burt is quoted as follows:-"At the Salt in 1967 we were going like a bomb. Then she got the wobbles just over half way through the run. To slow her down I sat up. The wind tore my goggles off and the blast forced my eyeballs back into my head - couldn't see a thing. We were so far off the black line that we missed a steel marker stake by inches. I put her down - a few scratches all round but nothing much else". At the time Burt was traveling at close to 206 mph!

Movie Trailer:
http://www.worldsfastestindian.com/


One of my favorite lines from the movie is:
"You live more in 5 minutes going flat out on a vehicle like this than most people live in a lifetime" - Burt Munro

Following: by Ian Bach
Here are some of my favorite sayings that explain a little about how I live life.

“The closer to death I get, the more alive I feel.”

“The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don’t know.”

“Never give up.”

“Never stop dreaming.”

“Don’t be afraid to dream big.”

“Pushing the edge of the envelope, helps us to learn who we are and what we are capable of.”

“I can fix anything from a toaster to a jet engine.”

“I may be intelligent, but I am not smart.”

“Friends are easy to find, but seldom last forever. But a soul mate is a rare find, can broaden your perspective, compliment your personality, and bring out the best in you.”

Here is the link to my Article with pictures about rock climbing. “Without ropes”

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/ianbach?tag=climbing

No comments:

Post a Comment